Royal Roads University
- I am Canadian, residing in Canada but have lived and worked in Scotland as well as Bhutan, Asia. My areas of expertise are education for sustainable development, worldviews, ecological systems metaphors and environmental communication. I am interested in contributing to PASCAL through work on projects, contributing to hot topics, book chapters and presentations.
- Redesigning education for sustainability
- Environmental communication
- Developing a sustainability perspective
- October, 2010 developed a new course for Royal Roads University (RRU), “Developing a Sustainability Perspective”, for their new Master’s in Environmental Practice. http://www.royalroads.ca/topic/environment-and-sustainability
- Being commissioned by RRU to write “Environmental Communication”, as an online Master’s course. http://www.royalroads.ca/topic/environment-and-sustainability
- Writing and developing a 2-part video on The Story and Future of School: how the dominant school system needs to transform in philosophy, management, curriculum design, buildings & resources, and teaching & learning to bring about sustainable development. Launch on the internet and social networking sites anticipated launch, Sept. 2011.
- Consultant on Environmental Communication for the Bermuda Environmental Alliance http://www.bermuda-bea.org/
- Developing a research project on Youth Empowerment and Mentorship in Children’s Environmental Action Projects in conjunction with UNEP.Consultant in developing Sustainability as a Growth Plan, School District #10, Arrow Lakes, BC.
Recognitions, positions, memberships:
- Director, Changing Climates Educational Society
- Canadian Network of Environmental Education and Communication: presentations, workshops in ESD.
- Member of Walking the Talk, a Regional group affiliated with Learning for a Sustainable Future(LSF) and ESD.
- Canada focused on promoting a culture of sustainability by developing and strengthening collaboration and leadership in education and training.
- Environmental Education Provincial Specialist Association, Regional Representative, presentations, workshops ESD.
- Ireland, L., 2007. Educating For the 21st Century: Advancing An Ecologically Sustainable Society. Scotland, UK: University of Sterling.
- Webster, K., Ireland, L., Johnson, C., 2008. Sense & Sustainability: Educating for a Low Carbon World, United Kingdom: TerraPreta.
- Garmulewicz, A.. Ireland, L, 2010. The Canadian Youth Climate Change Conference (YC3) as a model for effective youth adult and youth engagement in promoting environmental and social justice. In: W. Linds, L. Goulet, and A. Sammel, (eds.) 2010. Emancipatory Practices: Adult/Youth Engagement for Social and Environmental Justice. Rotterdam: Sense Publishing. Chapter 9.
- Member for
- 2 years 47 weeks
- View recent blog entries